Even though you may be excited about working from a shared office, you don’t want to jump the gun. Not only is this a big move for you and your company, but with multiple options there are several important details to consider. Obviously, we have our favorite provider of shared office space. No matter where you go, however, you want to make sure that your business and the office space are a good match.
It will make your move easier in the short term and your business look better in the long term when your office space provider is a good fit for your business. Here are five tips for choosing the right shared office space:
Look Around at Shared Office Space
1. Compare several options before making a final decision. Have you heard good things about a particular office in your city? Are you aware of several options that have received good reviews from others?
If possible, you should compare at least three shared office spaces in your target area. This will give you a clear understanding of what each one offers. You may find one to be head and shoulders above the rest, based on what you are looking for.
And you are comparing different office space providers, you should definitely become familiar with the costs.
2. How much will you pay every month for use of the space? Along with this expense, you should learn more about any others that you may incur. Do you have to pay for access to the internet? Do you have to pay when you want to make a copy or use the fax machine? A list of possible expenses will go a long way as you compare your options.
You need to make sure that you are comparing apples-to-apples and that one provider doesn’t have any hidden fees or charges.
So…what’s in it for you?
In order to be sure that you are comparing apples-to-apples, you need to know exactly what you are going to get at each office space. Will a perk like free beverage service save you money in the long run? Will a free meeting room once a month help you land new clients?
3. Know what you will get in return for your money. Don’t get so excited over moving from your home office that you overlook what you are getting in your new space. Make a list of what every office has to offer, down to the finest of details. For example, free beverage service may be a big deal to you. This may be one of those details that pushes you towards a particular office and away from another.
How is the location?
4. Location, location, location. If you are used to working from home, the last thing you want is to face a long commute two times a day. This may sound like an enjoyable change at first, but it will begin to wear on you.
Do you want to find a shared office in the city? How about a space that is further away from the city center but closer to your home? Just the same as buying real estate, location is extremely important.
You should ask yourself questions like how important is a short commute? Would I enjoy a live, work & play set-up near my home? Does the business park offer any kind of discounts in the neighborhood? Will my clients enjoy coming to see me at this location?
Location will have a significant effect not only on your enjoyment of your office but also on people’s perception of your business. Choose your location wisely!
Will You Still Have Your Freedom?
I have to admit, one of the best times for me to be in the office is Saturday afternoon. The lights are dimmer, the halls are quieter and there are usually no business “fires” that need to be put out.
5. Are you allowed to come and go as you please? Do you get 24 hour access? Can you go to the office on the weekends? Can you use a meeting room at 6pm?
You will want to ask these questions of each provider during your search. Remember, it is important to make sure the office space is a good fit for your needs and that you are comparing apples to apples when you look over each providers lease agreements.
Choose Your Office Space Wisely!
With these five points of advice, you will have an easier time choosing the perfect shared office space. We hope you will stop by our facilities and take a tour. You can book a tour with our General Manager right here.
Whether you come in for tour of our space or not, these 5 tips will serve you well while you search for the perfect shared office space solution.